Do you have what it takes to be a travel writer on assignment?
Hone your storytelling skills, learn from an industry pro and go on a real travel-writing assignment through the Balkans.
Well off the trodden European trail, the southeastern destinations of Croatia, Macedonia, Albania, Montenegro, Serbia, Bosnia & Herzegovina and Kosovo are a delight for adventure-seekers and culture enthusiasts alike. The magic of the mountains is found not only in the wondrous landscapes but also in the hospitable people and their deep connections to local tradition.
World Nomads is looking for three aspiring storytellers to travel around this region and write about the natural attractions and cultural charms that they find along the way.
What you could win:
The 3 scholarship recipients will receive:
- Free flights: Receive round-trip airfare from your country of residence to Dubrovnik, Croatia where you will transfer to Herceg Novi, Montenegro.
- Travel-writing workshop: Attend an exclusive travel-writing course under the mentorship of New York Times and Outside magazine contributor Tim Neville.
- Balkans trip: Each writer will then embark on their own 10-day trip with €1000 spending money including a free tour courtesy of The Western Balkans Geotourism Network.
- Adventure Apparel: Wander the Balkans in style with $500 USD worth of adventure travel clothing from ExOfficio.
- Train Pass: Plan your adventure with a Eurail rail pass – your ticket to exploring the Balkans.
- Travel Insurance: Recipients will have travel insurance for the duration of the trip from World Nomads.
How do I apply?
Write your story
Compose a 2500 character travel essay around one of the following themes:
- ‘Making a local connection’
- ‘Out of my comfort zone’
- ‘A place I’ll never forget’
Plan your itinerary
Tell World Nomads about two places that you would like to visit in the Balkans. You could be exploring Macedonia’s national parks, uncovering local cuisine in Bosnia & Herzegovina, studying music and dance in Serbia or walking with the wildlife in Albania.
Complete the application form
In 1500 characters or less, tell World Nomads why you should be the scholarship recipient and what winning this opportunity would mean to you. Your answer will hold considerable weight in the judging process.
The 3 scholarship recipients, along with the shortlist of best entries will be published on the World Nomads website on April 12th, 2017.
Free to apply by 11pm (EDT) on March 21, 2017. One application per person.
Read the full details, FAQs, terms and conditions here.
Want more travel opportunities like this? Subscribe to MDN’s weekly work-to-travel newsletter, for exclusive new jobs, arts opportunities and travel competitions to help you utilize your professional skills and creative talents to keep traveling the world.