So you want to be a Property Caretaker?
There’s a plethora of sites I consult to seek new caretaking jobs. Even when I’m happy where I’m working (like now), I still feel compelled to keep on top of what’s out there—you never know when the perfect situation will come along.
Here’s 10 sites that will aid you in your search for your dream caretaker job.
- The Caretaker Gazette: Now in their 33rd year of publication, the Gazette is a reliable source for finding your next caretaking or housesitting gig. It’s subscription-based (starting at $29.95/yr), delivered either electronically or via snail mail every other month, with email updates sent a few times weekly as jobs come up.
- Estate Jobs: Caretaking + Estate Management, Private Chef, Travel Nanny jobs and more – this site is a sort of ‘clearing house’ for placement agencies to post new positions. Free to join and apply.
- Working Couples: From caretakers to innkeepers and workampers, this site is the only one I’ve encountered that specifically caters to teams and couples. $5 monthly digital subscription + $19.95 set-up fee.
- Caretaker Jobs: Membership required to reveal application info, but free to join. Searchable database by state, country and type of job desired.
- Workers on Wheels: Jobs for RVers & workampers. Free monthly email newsletter.
- Cool Jobs Canada: Mostly seasonal F&B-related jobs from our neighbors to the north, but I have seen such gems as “Ski Chalet Manager wanted” here. Worth a look.
- CoolWorks: (Mostly) seasonal job opportunities in great places like national parks, various resorts, ranches, camps, ski resorts and jobs on the water. They also promote volunteer and conservation corps opportunities to help better our world.
- Job Monkey: Coolest Jobs on Earth: Free weekly newsletter detailing the latest caretaking, National Park, forestry and other outdoor & adventure-related employment.
- Craigslist: Let us never underestimate the power of Craigslist. Once you’ve determined your preferred job location, use the search tool under “jobs” to enter in your keywords of choice. Or, search the entire site using Google’s “Advanced Search,” for all new jobs in every city across the U.S. (and internationally) that pertain to your keywords. Simply type in the url of the site (i.e., http://craigslist.org) that you wish to search in the last field, then type your keyword of choice, like “caretaker,” in the first field…and voila! Newer listings appear first.
- Modern-Day Nomads: Offering top property caretaking/jobs with housing, as well as work-to-travel listings, arts + literary residencies, study programs, travel info & inspiration for globetrekking American creative professionals in the U.S. + abroad. Follow Modern-Day Nomads on Twitter + Facebook + Instagram. Sign up for MDN’s weekly work-to-travel newsletter here!
Also, once you’ve identified the cities or geographical areas you’d like to travel and work, look up the local papers for that city or region to consult their classified sections for pertinent job offers. Note: This is the job-search method I used to land one of my favorite caretaking gigs of all time, through the (sadly, now defunct) Village Soup, a tiny weekly paper in midcoast Maine. Some smaller papers will also allow you to place a classified “work wanted” ad free of charge. Good luck!