Artsmith is offering a 3-night cultural intensive residency for culture and/or travel writers to be immersed in the rich history of the Spanish colonial city of Laredo.
Spend three glorious days soaking in the rich, Spanish colonial history and culture of Laredo, Texas. The residency, designed for culture and travel writers, will be an intense, three-day cultural immersion for up to five selected fellows to join travel writer Tiffany Owens, photographer Bob Johnson, and Artsmith director and writer Jill McCabe Johnson as they explore the city and its environs.
The selected fellows will receive three nights’ lodging at the landmark La Posada Hotel, full breakfast each morning, plus most other meals, and van transportation to planned activities. Fellows are responsible for their own transportation, tips, alcohol, and all other incidentals. The hotel shuttle is available for Laredo Airport transfers and for fellows to explore other sites during free time.
The full itinerary of cultural events and activities, includes but is not limited to:
- CaminArte, Laredo’s monthly artwalk
- Birding along the Rio Grande and an opportunity to see the White-collared seedeater (in the U.S. it is only found along the Rio Grande)
- Authentic border cuisine at area restaurants
- Nightlife with live music
- Spanish colonial architecture
- Local, regional art
- Other activities, as determined by the selected fellows
For writers who travel with a partner photographer or videographer, and can share a room, we will award up to two additional residencies. Aspiring and international writers encouraged to apply. Please see application guidelines below.
To apply, please submit $15 and the following by July 31, 2015 via this link with:
2. Cover letter with a little about your writing practice, why you are interested in writing about Laredo or how the Laredo residency might benefit you as a writer
3. Name and brief bio of photographer or videographer travel companion, if applicable
4. Names and contact information for two references
5. How did you hear about us?
6. CV (up to three pages).
7. One file with up to twenty pages of clips of published cultural and/or travel writing
Who wants to spend a week on Washington’s Orcas Island? Writers, Artists, Naturalists + Scholars invited to apply for week-long Artsmith residencies in January 2016. $35 app fee; deadline to apply: May 31, 2015.
Want more like this? Subscribe to the Modern-Day Nomads newsletter—just $10 for 3-month subscription—to receive weekly updates of all the best new arts + literary residencies, competitions and other creative opportunities for travelers.