World Nomads is giving one aspiring photographer the opportunity to accompany renowned wildlife and natural history photographer, Jason Edwards, on assignment in the Peruvian Amazon.
You will begin your photographic journey in the ancient capital of the Inca Empire – Cusco – where you will explore the rich history and culture of the Andean Mountain landscapes with Explorandes. From there you will travel into the heart of the Amazon basin to Madre de Dios, where you will explore one of the planet’s top biodiversity hotspots.
During your Rainforest Expeditions trip, you will find out firsthand what life is like in the field for a travel photographer while capturing the rainforest wildlife and the conservation projects that WWF Peru supports to protect the biodiverse ecosystems and the livelihoods of the indigenous communities who call the Amazon forest home.
The winning photographer will receive the following prize:
- 12-day bespoke trip to the Amazon with WWF Peru, Rainforest Expeditions and Explorandes
- Round-trip airfare from your country of residence to Cusco, Peru where you will meet your mentor and a small film crew and then head off to Madre de Dios to begin your assignment
- 12-day professional mentorship from Jason Edwards
- Travel insurance for the duration of the trip from World Nomads
4 runners-up will receive: A FREE 45-min portfolio review from Jason Edwards (valued at $800 AUD)
On the trip you will work alongside Jason Edwards photographing the people, wildlife and landscapes of the Amazon at various times of the day and night.
You will gain invaluable mentoring and hands-on experience in everything from shot set up, technique and composition through to insights into his many years of diverse experience as an award-winning photographer.
Your assignment will involve observing and assisting Jason as well as undertaking your own photographic work. This will involve long days, early mornings and late nights working!
Most of all, you’ll be experiencing what it’s like to be a photographer on-assignment with a National Geographic photographer!
You will work through a specific shot list of 20 photos that will be commissioned by the scholarship partners as part of your assignment.
You will keep a daily journal about your time on the trip and upload this to a WorldNomads.com travel journal (minimum 200 words per day), including pictures you’ve taken.
On your return, you will work with Jason Edwards through the editorial process to shortlist your top photographs and color balance to achieve professional looking shots.
Who Can Apply?
- This opportunity is open photography students or keen amateurs/pro-amateurs looking build a career in travel photography.
- Any non-professional can apply – this is open photography students or keen amateurs/pro-amateurs looking build a career in travel photography.
- You may be a resident of any country (subject to obtaining a Peruvian visa).
- Minimum age 18 by the application deadline (November 24, 2014) with a current valid passport.
- You must be available as per the dates set out. Please note these dates are not changeable in any way.
- You must be fit and healthy as moderate levels of physical work are involved as well as a number of late nights!
- You should be an exceptional photographer with a lust for adventure, have a strong desire to be mentored and grow your photographic knowledge and skills, an ambition to forge a career in travel photography.
November 25 – December 18, 2014: Application judging
December 19, 2014: Winner announced
April 6 – April 19, 2015: Winner goes on Assignment in Peru