The Christianson Grant is awarded to individuals who have arranged their own work abroad programs. Proposed programs must be at least six months in length and emphasize a work component. The grant program does not support independent research projects or academic study abroad programs.
Award Amount: $2,500 – $10,000
Grant applicants must be:
- U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents
- Between the ages of 18 and 28
- Participating in a work, internship or volunteer abroad program*
- Committed to a program duration of at least six months
- Willing to submit a written report upon completion of their program
* International work must not be part of a degree requirement or for class credit.
Christianson Grants are awarded three times a year. Applications must be received by March 15, July 15 or October 15. Please submit hard copies of all the following materials via mail (electronic documents are not accepted):
- Completed and signed Christianson Grant Application
- Personal essay – A short essay (one to two pages) that answers a question provided on the grant application
- Supplemental essay – A brief essay (two to three paragraphs) that answers a question provided on the grant application
- Two letters of recommendation from academic instructors and/or employers – signed and sealed (may be submitted separately)
- Resume (no longer than one page)
- Photocopy of valid U.S. passport or permanent resident card
- $50 non-refundable application fee (check or money order payable to InterExchange, Inc.)
Telephone interviews may be conducted as part of the selection process. Please indicate your contact information and availability on the application form.
Mail your application to:
Attn: Grant Selection Committee
161 Sixth Avenue, 10th Floor
New York, NY 10013
Want even more arts and creative opportunities for travelers? Get new ones every Friday when you subscribe to our newsletter!
Do you have an arts residency, creative competition or opportunity that you’d like us to feature? Feel free to contact us via email or one of our social media channels. Please note: We can only feature those that don’t require program fees (beyond a standard application fee) to participate. Thanks!